Total Pageviews

Friday, November 11, 2011

The Alternative World of Comic Books

     Basically, I've figured out that there is an Alternative Universe where all superheros can exist.  The DC and Marvel Universes are quite different, so since DC came first, I will call it AU1, and Marvel can be AU2.
     I do play Champions Online, and that is pretty rad.  That can be AU3 as far as I'm concerned.
     My own Superhero Universe will be AU4, which is nice, since I was born on the 4th of December.  I will have to work on this universe.  I will parody every superhero there, and create my own.  I haven't decided yet if everybody will be superheros or not.  Maybe it would be better just to have .001% of the population of AU4 be superheros.  Maybe in one episode there will be something that happens where everybody on Earth has superpowers.  That would be fun to do.

      I came up with this thinking primarily because there is no way that superheros could ever exist in the real world.  To have superhuman powers is just ridiculous.  It will never happen.  Therefore, it all has to be extremely fictional. 

     It would be cool to know that somewhere in the world, somebody had the powers of a spider, or could fly....but really, it will never happen.  It's all just fantasy. 

     Superheros never seem to need to eat much, they never have to go to the bathroom, they rarely get sick....it's all ridiculous.  They are like cartoon characters in that they never age, and they don't seem to reproduce much.  In a way, the superhero universe could be some kind of hell that the characters don't know that they are in.

     My alternative version of Superman is called 'Realman'.  He is a regular guy who works in a steel mill, and his only escape are in his dreams, where his powers are almost limitless.  An idea like this came from the movie 'Brazil' by Terry Gilliam, where the office worker has a mundane existence, but he has a rich fantasy life.  Same thing.
     For this day and age, it is ridiculous for Superman to work at The Daily Bugle.  He only worked there in the first place because that is where the information came in from all over the world.  They have the internet now.
     If I was Superman, I would just fly around the world once a day, to see what was going on.  I'd be the policeman of the earth.  I'd make sure everything was cool.  I would help to get people fed.
     I have a hard time buying into the myth of Superman, like, he is a swell, regular guy because he grew up in Kansas.
     He has one girlfriend...yeah, right.

     You know, it was probably a mistake to show Clark Kent in bed with Lois Lane in Superman II.  It's for the kids, mostly.  They didn't need to see that.  Or maybe the people in Hollywood wanted people to know that Superman was straight, despite the tights.

     Comics are mostly for teenagers still, but lots of adults still like comics.  They are mostly written for boys 11-17, though, it seems to me.
     If I was a teenager today, and I had a choice between sitting there reading a comic book, and playing an online game, I'd pick the game ten times out of ten.  Online games do have a lot of text anyhow, which is good, so at least people get their reading in of some kind.  A lot of players can't really spell, and to me, it makes them look stupid.  Also, I can't stand when they don't bother to punctuate.

     Well, that's enough for now.  All this thinking about comic books makes me want to play Champions Online. 

No comments:

Post a Comment